Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Surf rock and history

Tonight I started digging back into my music and started looking at Man or Astroman?. Another band that my brother had turned me onto that I sort of obsessed over for a few years. I ended up with most of their albums on vinyl and quite a few 7 inches as well. Periodically I'll check on eBay to see if they are selling for any decent amounts but I doubt if I would really part with them. Man or Astroman? were a great band and live they were even better. They would always have an interesting stage show and who can go wrong with sci-fi surf rock. The only group (other than various local bands) I've seen more than them is the Reverend Horton Heat.

Unfortunately it seems that Man or Astroman? is now on a permanent hiatus. I only was able to listen to the last album a few times before the amp my turntable was running through was taken away. I'm still looking to piece together a stereo, mostly so I can listen to that record.

Occasionally I'll find myself waxing nostalgic. I hoped when I was younger that I wouldn't do it but I suspect it's inevitable. Never do I wish for a return to the past, I'm quite content with the present and look forward to the future. But there is a fondness for the earlier times in my life. The good thing is I still have most of the sound track for those times (well the last fifteen years or so). And if I put on some of that music, I can remember those times.

Perhaps the fact that soon I'll be leaving what's been my home for the last eleven years or so is helping to trigger some of this. As excited as I am to leave and go start a new chapter of my life with Phrank, I'll still miss this place. And I'll look back on this place with fondness. On the other hand, living here hasn't always been the happiest experience. There was a lot of loneliness (some of which was self-imposed) and heartbreak. I also have this nagging suspicion that I kind of wasted my twenties by living here and am just now starting out again.

Whatever, it's all lessons I guess and I'm sure there I'll take from the last eleven years that can come in handy. Or at least I sure hope so.

No comments: