Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The fog coming into the mountains

I can get myself easily confused it seems. For the past week I thought that after this weekend I'd only have two more weeks before I moved for good. Today I realized I still have three more to go. Which is a relief because there is a lot of stuff left to do.

We've been in the new place for a couple of weeks now. Well technically Phrank is there by herself except for weekends. She has done a really good job of making a nice home for us.

Among the things I have left to do is write my resignation letter from Steamboat. After over a decade of living here I think something like that is in order. I still haven't pieced it completely together. Like a lot of things it consists of fragments in my brain. I still haven't decided just what direction I want to take with it. I think I'll probably end up with a bit of a balance.

There are things about this place that make it easy to leave. At this point other than a handful of friends, there isn't that much I'll miss about it. It's not like I own a home here (or could ever afford to). Sure it's a beautiful place but there are lots of beautiful places in this world. I think one of the things I will not miss is the attitude that somehow Steamboat has a monopoly on beauty. The truth is that in ten years or so this town is just going to be like every other cookie cutter town in the US.

On the other hand, I'm sure I will miss it but like everything else it will fade. And knowing me, rather quickly.

Now I have a whole different part of the state to explore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and lemonade to buy.

lots and lots of lemonade.

phrank

Anonymous said...

God, I know what you mean. I just wish I could go back about four years ago, have 1 repeat day where I run into Mocha's and grab a coffee, skim the pilot, shoot the shit with you, Ryan, Tim Kinney...jump on my bike...it's a bluebird day, no tourists, all familiar faces, and say la dolce vita!
I remember the first time I'd left Steamboat after the winter of 98/99. I left for the summer and when I returned they'd cleared the land that they would later build the Steamboat Pilot and the Clarks Market. It sounds wierd to say it but, my heart hurt seeing what was to come. I know change in inevitable but, -it just bums me out. Bring back the days of the horse and dirt road!
Hutch, have a great move! I'm really happy for you.
:-)Shannon Rose

Anonymous said...

Nor is it a road, from what I hear. Congrats on the (almost) move, we'll have to hang soon?

Anonymous said...

lemonade...
...it makes a house a home.

(and puts smiles of the faces of weirdo 21st century village of the damned-ish children)

phrank