Saturday, February 26, 2005

Don't hate me for my biology

In honor of the late great Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, I am into my third glass of Knob Creek Bourbon. Not that I could ever emulate him, or even try, but I am toasting his memory tonight.

All week I have been trying to think of the word misandry. I find it an underused word, and yet a widely used concept, especially in pop culture, particular commercials. How many times have you seen a commercial or a sitcom for that matter, where the man is portrayed as a total buffoon? Many times I'd wager if you watch enough television. Or how we laugh at voilence directed towards men in movies (you know, the old kick in the balls). For along time I've wondered why this is acceptable, and yet we cringe if this is directed at women.

Of course, women in western culture were given the shaft for centuries. And to this day there is as "old boy network", which I have seen second hand. It is still very difficult for women to break into certain fields without a high level of resentment. I believe that we are all humans no matter what sex, race or whatever other ways we classify ourselves.

However, I am uncomfortable with the backlash directed towards men. It does nothing to advance the cause of women, and I see it creating more animosity toward them from men. Men and women are different, and have strengths that the other doesn't have. If we are ever to achieve equality, we will need to accept this and use our strengths, but not deny anyone the chance to break from supposed roles. Put this way, I don't care who fixes my truck, as long as they do it right.

No comments: