Thursday, January 08, 2009

The distance



There's this person that I think most of us have in our lives. I tend to call it "the one who got away". It seems to me that most of us have one of those people in our past. Mostly in terms of relationships, at least for me and from what I've gathered from others. Now don't take this as pining for in my case, just pure curiosity (that was at least six years ago). But what I wonder is if they are in fact the ones that got away, why did we let them get away?

I know in my case it was mostly geographical distance and a general moving on. Through in some mental issues on perhaps both parts and you have a separation.

And through talking to other people about their "one that got away" is seems that the common theme is physical distance. Again I have to wonder, why is that we try to keep things going over long distance when neither party is going to leave where they are? I know once in my life I've moved to another place for someone and I'm still trying to figure out if it was worth it in the long run (I suspect it was even though I'm not with that person anymore).

Why do some of us insist on maintaining a long distance relationship, we do it because of the distance or in spite of it? I was never able to figure it out for myself. Some of us (myself included) can have some attraction to people who are unavailable. A geographical unavailability is about as unavailable as one can get. Or is one of those "all odds can be surmounted through love" fantasies that we've been fed over the years? Which I speculate clouds our vision of true nature of relationships.

Once again, I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Perhaps there is something I'm trying to work out here. There is a tendency on my part to be attracted to people who are unavailable in one way or another. I'm not sure if I'm doing it again (I'm not going into to detail right now), but maybe in the back of my head that little buzzer is going off this time. That's one of the things that bothers me about me, I'm never really sure what's going on inside my head. And trying to get it down can be a pain. Or perhaps I just found myself in a moment of nostalgia tonight because I put on Modest Mouse for the first time in years.

No comments: