Monday, September 19, 2011

little man

Burney crossed over the Rainbow Bridge a couple of months ago.  It's been a big loss and we all took it pretty hard, especially my brother and sister-in-law.  It's only been recently that she and I have been able to talk about him.  I never wanted to press the issue, but I'm sure she knows how much he meant to me.

Burney was the biggest dog in the world.  Not in size but in heart.  Everyone that met him fell in love with him and I don't think he ever met anyone he didn't like.  He had a gentle soul.  One of my favorite memories of him is how on a warm day, he would come outside, lay down on the brick patio and sun himself.  He couldn't have been happier.  That or crawling into a hamper full of clothes fresh out of the dryer.  He would just look up at you with that little head of his and then burrow back into the clothes.

Like all of their dogs, Burney was rescued.  And from the story they heard after the fact, he was much better off with them than whoever had him before.  That dog found his heaven with them.  They gave him the chance to be the best Burney he could be and he did.

I miss Burney.  When I go to their house, I sometimes think before I realize that I'll get to see him.  But it only makes me sad for a moment.  Because in the end, I was one of the lucky people who got to know Burney.

No comments: