Wednesday, September 28, 2011

No words

If it's not obvious, these last few weeks have been a trip down the halls of my brain, trying to see what comes up.  It doesn't help that my recall sucks.  Quite often, some has to tell me the story of what happened before I really remember.  But, I have had quite a few unprodded memories come floating up.  So far most of them are about my time in Colorado, which makes sense in that I pretty much grew up there w/r/t becoming an adult.

There is a suspicion of mine that some of this is triggered by the music I've been listening to for the last couple of years.  I find myself listening to a lot of post-rock and instrumental music.  It almost seems at this point in my musical journey, I over listening to people singing.  A few good examples of what I've been listening are Red SparowesExplosions in the SkyGod is an AstronautMogwai and of course Sigor Ros.  With the exceptions of Mogwai and Sigor Ros, there are no words (and the two that have word, the words are usually unintelligible.  I like this, I like not having to figure out what the singer is trying to say.

Some of the song do have a traditional song structure, but not many.  With the lack of lyrics comes a freedom to escape the verse/chorus/verse structure that is common with many songs in modern music.  Much of what I've been enjoying almost has a soundscape quality to it, there's nuances to the songs that go lacking when words get in the way.  And yet many times there's still a narrative to the song, there's still a story being told, but it's being told with sounds and music not words.  It's approachable in more than one  way.  I can play it as background if I'm doing something else or play it and really focus on the music.

Having said all that, all the shows but one I've been to this summer were metal shows.  Go figure.


 


No comments: