Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama


Sloss Furnace
Originally uploaded by surly monkey
A week ago this time I was in Alabama.  Probably either watching or getting ready to watch Man or Astroman?.  Unlike Phrank, I thought the were awesome, she on the other hand thought they were horrible.  I believe her description of them was "spastic space monkeys".  Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Luckily, I went into this trip with out knowing what to expect.  I've never really spent any time in the South.  I have to say I came away quite pleased with the experience.  The weather was great, so that helped but I found Alabama absolutely beautiful.  We were able to take a hike the first day I was there, and the forest was amazing.  Many of the same trees that are here in Indiana were present, but there were some I had never seen before.  Including magnolia trees, which were awesome, the leaves are the coolest thing.  Phrank told me to go feel them, they are smooth and waxy on top and fuzzy on the bottom.  The area she lives is a smallish city, and recovering from being hit by a tornado back in April.  But still had that small town feel and look.  And some of the best doughnuts I've ever had.

We went down to Birmingham for the show.  I found myself thinking that Birmingham may be the prettiest city I've seen in the US.  I was blown away by the old skyscrapers in downtown and the old apartment buildings and houses in the residential parts.  Plus there's an old steel factory called Sloss Furnace that is no longer in use and open to the public.  And I found that the people there were rather friendly.

I think I'd like to go back sometime and explore more down that way.

2 comments:

... said...

Hmm, Dutchess Donuts...

surly monkey said...

They were worth breaking my two year abstention from doughnuts.