Sunday, October 09, 2011

Fall Fell

This weekend was what I think is called Indian Summer.  The weather was beautiful, not to hot but not cold at all.  The trees started to turn to the fall colors and in the course of two days really took off.  I managed to get out and walk around in Skiles-Test Nature park, which is an infrequently travelled park in Indy.  I only saw about eight other people and that's probably the most I've ever seen there.  It makes me happy realize that I'm one of the people in Indy that know about this little secret.  And once I got off the main path, I only saw one other person.
It appears in some ways I've still getting acclimated to living here.  I keep expecting it to snow about now.  And even though that is possible here in Indiana, it's highly unlikely for another few weeks to a month or so.  After seeing people in Colorado posting pictures with snow on the mountains, I have to admit, I felt a bit sad that I wasn't there to witness it.  In years past, I would always get excited when that first visible sign of snow hit the higher elevations.  Here in Indiana, something tells me it's not really anything to get too excited for.  Although I probably will anyway.

The change in the weather is seems to be at a slower pace than it was in Colorado, fall seems to last much longer (summer too).  I'm finding it strange to realized that I'm already in the third season of the year here in Indiana, with the fourth one not too far around the corner.  In some ways I still feel like I'm on an extended visit (and perhaps I am), I don't fully feel like I belong here.  After all these years though, I recognize that I feel this way no matter where I live.  I felt in in Boulder, Steamboat, Colorado Springs and now here in Indy.  I think the only place I really thought I truly belonged was a brief moment in time in Muncie.  And that probably had a lot more to do with the time than the place.  Oh well.  I am used to it now.

And I guess it's ok, it will make it easier to decide to go to the next place where I feel I don't belong.


No comments: