Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Somewhere South


Old light pole
Originally uploaded by surly monkey
The bag is packed, the car is relatively clean and I'm hitting the road after a half day of work. This will be the first time I've left the state (with the exception of Cincinnati for a couple of shows) since I got back here. And for once, I get to go somewhere I've never been. The road is taking me to Alabama, to see Man or Astro-man? and Phrank. Seems she moved to her motherland not to long after I did the same.

I miss the traveling. Over the past winter, I was driving back and forth from Steamboat quite often. Yeah, winter driving for at least four hours at a times can be stressful but it wasn't that bad. I got to see quite a few awesome moments of scenery. And some pretty cool sunsets.

Perhaps surprisingly, I'm looking forward to seeing Phrank again.  When she lived up the hill from me, it was different.  We could just go see each other.  Now that there's a fair amount of distance, I find myself missing her.  Or perhaps knowing that she's in my proximity.  After a few months of scowling across the courtyard at each other, we came to the realization that one way or another, we are going to be in each other's life.  And it is an ever evolving. shifting thing.  It did take me breaking my face for us to come to that conclusion.  Once before I left Colorado, I asked another close friend if I ever badmouthed Phrank when things were bad between us.  My friend said "No, and I wish you would have.  But you didn't.", so there's that.

And I'm pretty excited to see Man or Astro-man?, after all, they were one of my favorite bands in the 90s.

No comments: