Tuesday, May 16, 2006

And then I realized I was living in a city

It's been quite a few years since I've had any real commute to work. Probably since the I lived back in Indy almost twelve years ago (I still find it hard to believe that I've been here this long). Today marked the first day of my daily commute and really twenty minutes or so isn't that bad. My guess is that as I get more familiar with the area I may be able to find other ways.

This morning I followed Phrank's advice and avoided the interstate. I was going to take it but then I realized that most of the time she is right and this is probably one of those times. Plus, I actually get to listen to Morning Edition for awhile.

The strange thing is I'm not missing Steamboat as much as I thought I would. Perhaps it's because I only took one day off between jobs. I expected more of a homesick feeling and it didn't show up. I tend to forget that I'm actually adaptable and once I'm finally in a new situation handle it decently. The worst part is always the part leading up to a change. This is not to say that I don't miss the people there, I'm talking more about the town itself.

Being the fourth city in Colorado I've lived in, I can safely say the views in each city are unique. Here the mountains just push up from the ground (I guess Boulder is sort of that way) and start. Our balcony has a pretty decent sunset view and there were some neat colors tonight while I was outside smoking. There is this feel here that I can't quite put into words. It's a city, maybe that's part of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

personally, i always enjoyed the commute as it gave me sufficient time to regrasp the english language (opposed to the exorcist-esque caveman garble i recite upon waking) before encountering other humans.

regarding the homesick feelings (or lack thereof), i think it's hard to feel homesick on a full belly. i'll stop feeding you and put you back on frozen dinners, then the homesick will set in.

screw that--tonight, tacos.

phrank