Thursday, May 04, 2006

Finding stuff

Apparently I'm stopping my hiatus here. Tonight I started packing up the last of the big load. I'm hoping that all I'll have left here are my bike, the clothes I need next week and my computer. Of course I'll be finding all kinds of stuff that I forgot but it should all fit.

This slow moving process is a bit annoying, I think I'd rather pack it all up in a van and do it at once but that seems a bit overkill in this instance. Unlike previous moves I haven't really sat around and gone through every little bit of memorabilia I have. Mostly because it was still in the boxes from the last move. There is no flood of memories like there have been in the past. I still have almost every personal letter that has ever been sent to me (including post cards), stuffed into boxes and Priority Mail envelopes. There are a couple boxes of photos that I hope I still have the negatives of said photos. Random toys that people have given me over the years. Hell, I have rocks that I've picked up in various places and I can still remember where most of those rocks came from. There are four Red Hook twelve pack boxes stuffed with several years of National Geographic magazines that I just don't know what to do with.

I never thought I was tied to stuff but I see I am. I've never claimed to be materialistic but I'm always surprised by just how much crap I have everytime I move. The couple of times I did a pretty good job of getting rid of things but this time I haven't even tried. It just accumulates. One of these days I'll have to break out those boxes and go through it.

But even with all of this stuff, I have this suspicion that compared to other thirty-four year-olds out there, I really don't have that much. Two closets worth. Maybe that's not that much.

No comments: