Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Heat

The heat has finally hit. I thought I was prepared for it and I guess I knew it would be hot but it's always a bit of a shock when it finally sets in. This part of the state is still in a serious drought and it shows. As far as native plant life goes most of it is still brown and I doubt if it will get green at all by this point. There is a city wide fire ban and water restrictions are soon to follow.

Someone tried to tell me today that it's not always like this but I doubt if they were really telling the truth. Actually one of the few things I remember about being here that many years ago was the heat. And I was driving that stuffy little truck then as well. I still can't bring myself to use the AC in my car. Based on past experience, it doesn't seem to work that well as it is. Plus, I never drive far enough to warrant using it.

What really gets me about this is I have to get out of bed after laying there for a while because I get hot. This really has nothing to do with the heat outside, we have the AC on at night in the apartment. I'm just too stupid to get rid of the comforter. Tonight it's going away.

After this past weekends purchases I'll be finding myself out in it more often (which is a good thing, as long as there is enough water). Phrank and I bought a fair amount of camping gear and soon will be camping at one of the camping grounds here in town to test it all out. We've been hiking some as well. I've decided I need a new hydration pack. The one I have for the winter is just too small.

Once we get the gear situation settled it'll be good to escape the city and get up into the mountains. As I've said before there is a lot around here I haven't seen yet and I look forward to checking it out with Phrank.

I wonder if my sheets are cool yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

need a hydration pack and perhaps a compass, yes?

perhaps the heat didn't get to me initially since i moved from the bowels of the bible belt. oddly, if i'm working outside the heat doesn't seem as intense as the summers that i worked indoors. strange.

speaking of work, i do not wish to go in today. i would prefer to nap...all day. then swim.

tonight we dine like kings on more pasta...this time with chicken, roasted garlic and pesto sauce (oh and the feta).