Thursday, July 27, 2006

I was wrong...

There are times when I screw up. Seemingly, when I do two things happen, I screw up more than once in a short amount of time and I make it worse by not coming right out and admitting I screwed up. I find myself operating under the assumption that I am perfect and how dare someone tell me I'm wrong. When I am confronted I'll protest and justify until my face turns blue which almost always makes the situation worse.

It took me until very recently to realize that not only do I screw up but in fact I need to admit it and face the fact that I did screw up. It's an ego thing to not admit I'm wrong (which is another surprising discovery, considering for years I thought I had no ego). Looking back it suddenly makes sense where I get it. I don't think my father ever admitted he was wrong about anything. I'm sure one of the siblings can set me straight if that's not the case. Anyway, it occurs to me that I'm just emulating him when I act like this.

What I need to learn is that if I can't just immediately admit that I'm wrong then for the time being I just need to keep my mouth shut until I can admit it. Sometimes silence isn't such a bad thing.

No comments: