Thursday, July 20, 2006

Last cigarette (who the hell sang that song, anyway?)

Sometime in the next several hours, I'll have hit three weeks without smoking. Not bad for never tried to quite before, I think. There are still moments when I really want one, especially after work, skating and doing the dishes but it's not every time. Most of the time I don't think about it. Of course, it hit me tonight that to make it work I can't allow myself to ever have one again. Ever. Bummer.

There was a time when I enjoyed smoking actually. Back when you could still buy single cigarettes here in Colorado, I would smoke maybe three a day. One in the morning on my walk to work (this was before I had a car), one after work and another sometime in the evening. I'm sure there were times when I would have more than that but it was rare. In those days I would get a buzz off each of those cigarettes (that buzz is what gets you hooked by the way) and I enjoyed that buzz. It's hard to describe just what it was like now.

My guess is that I will miss those death sticks. They were always there for me. Anytime there was a crises (or I had to talk to certain people on the phone (mostly mom)) there was a cigarette. If I was upset, I believed that cigarettes would calm me down, when it fact it was probably just deep breathing. Perhaps I should have said goodbye to them.

And the thing is after writing all of this, I still don't want one. Or at least bad enough to have one.

No comments: