Thursday, February 07, 2008

Moving Pictures

Going to the video store lately has begun to present a challenge. It seems I've watched most of the movies that were high on my to watch list. I'm now to the point where I'll grab something I've never heard about or have heard questionable review. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For instance, foreign films are hit or miss for me. A few that I've rented are completely awesome and I recommend them to other people, some are just awful and some I just get done watching it and thinking to myself "what did I just watch?".

For instance, tonight I watched this movie called Immortal which was based on a French comic book (that I'd never heard of). Visually the movie was awesome but I'm not sure if I really know what happened as far as the plot is concerned. If you want some eye-candy I'd say watch it. Perhaps something was lost in the translation. But it wasn't a stinker.

I have a hard time remembering what happened in a movie to begin with. Throw in a lot of slow moving and intricate plots and I just loose interest. Most of the time. Sometime it just takes a few times to get through and into a movie. It took me three times to final make it through Apocalypse Now. Not that it's bad or boring, but it moves really slow until the beach is stormed (I realize some people will debate this, oh well). Same thing with Blade Runner, which I think is one of the greatest movies ever make. But man does it move slow.

Anyway, I don't really know where I'm going with this. Somewhat related I think, is the fact that I don't remember moments in my life as sequences. I usually remember what I would call a snapshot of a memory. It seems that other people have memories more like a scene from a movie. I don't really. Some are like that but a majority are more like a photo.

Maybe that's why I take pictures. I wonder if I make movies if I'll start remembering events like movies.

No comments: