Monday, February 18, 2008

Swetsville Zoo


Close up of Croc Driver
Originally uploaded by surly monkey
This weekend I went up to Ft. Collins. We ended up playing Rock Band most of the time, I can't play the drums but I did ok with the bass (of course that was the easy setting). If I had the money I'd spring for a PS3 just so I could play it more. Of course I don't have the money for that.

Sometimes I forget how much I enjoyed my time in Ft. Collins. The city reminds me of a town in the midwest, although a bit windier. The people who live there seem to have a similar attitude to the people back in the midwest. It's laid out in a grid like most cities back east and there are no big hills, it's mostly just rolling hills. The summer especially remind me of back east, streets there are tree-lined with what seems to be fairly old trees and you can bike almost anywhere. Unlike most towns in Colorado the older houses have porches, big porches.

On the way home I stopped at the Swetsville Zoo. My sister told me about it back when I lived in Ft. Collins and I've stopped by a few times but I never had my camera with me. It was deceptively cold with the wind so I wimped out after just taking a few pictures. I guess that means I'll just have to stop by when it's warmer to get a few more pictures. Maybe with some greenery around as well. It's a pretty interesting place, it consists of sculptures made out of old car and farm implement parts. Some of the stuff is sort of freaky and the guy who makes the pieces must have one interesting imagination.

Completely unrelated, I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from someone I haven't talked to in over ten years. It's pretty cool that these people from my past and I have been starting to reconnect in the last couple of years. And with a fair share of them, we've managed to stay in touch. I'm lucky that I have so many people in my past that I call and have called my friends. Lately, it's been a source of strength, considering what I've been going through.

It's pretty cool to pick up the phone and start back up close to where you left off. Even if it was over a decade ago.

1 comment:

JackassJimmy said...

I hear you on being reconnected after awhile. In the past three weeks or so, I have been reconnected with a few people I was sure it was going to be a positive experience.

However, time among other things have seemed to heal all wounds for the moment.

Hope you are well.

Cheers,
JJ