Monday, February 20, 2006

He's a Muncie boy...

Apparently the city that led to my moral downfall is quickly making the rounds of the Internet. Muncie, Indiana has achieved some amount of fame in the past, in sociological circles it was the site of the Middletown studies. The university located in Muncie, Ball State University (yes, I've heard them all) is the alma mater of David Letterman to name one.

As much as Muncie is a den of hedonism and (most likely) debauchery, in the last week it has achieved Internet notoriety as a sleepy Midwestern town. Which it is. Lazy Muncie which is the middle coast response to a pseudo East/West Coast white boy rap feud (starting with the Chronic of Narnia via SNL, all which are linked on the Lazy Muncie site), shows Muncie for what it is. Except for the BSU craziness.

The truth is, I haven't stepped foot in Muncie in close to a decade but I doubt it's changed that much. When I was there it was a dying Midwestern factory town. A city that is part of what is referred to as the Rust Belt. By the time I got to that town there were at least three abandoned high schools and many abandoned factories to scurry around in (as long as you avoided the cops, which we did). But it appears that Muncie is still hanging on as strong as it can. Good for Muncie. Personally, I'd never live there again but there are plenty of good people that call it home and it does still hold a special spot in my heart.

Check the video if you have high speed.

No comments: