Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Questions...

Apparently I can't stay away from doing this. Perhaps it's the force of habit. Perhaps it's the fact that this is the closest thing I have to keeping a journal. But once again I'm drawn to typing little characters out onto the screen of my hopelessly outdated computer.

Over the last few years, I've been trying to figure out where it is that I come from. Obviously I came from Indiana and I seem to be quite fine with that (I did get an Indiana themed tattoo, that must mean something). But I wonder how the hell I became what I have become so far. Where did I pick up the lessons and values that I have now? I'll acknowledge that some of my core values, like trying to stay honest, came from my folks and eighteen years of attending church (yes, for an agnostic the fear of god is still strong in this one). But I'm not sure where I picked up the other stuff. Not that I'm good at it but I think we should try to be nice to each other. Or that there are certain basic needs that everyone should probably be afforded. Shelter and health care being among them. And a certain level of dignity (although there are times when I see people who to me just seem not to deserve it). And I don't know exactly where these ideas come from. I presume it's from writers that I've read over the years and there are those that will just say I'm a victim of the So Called Liberal Media but I don't think so. Perhaps it comes from years of trying to stay on the outskirts of mainstream society even though I am just as much a part of it as anyone else.

I'm not sure exactly where I come from and that sort of bothers me. It'd me nice if I had a firmer grasp on it. But then again how important is it really to know where you are from as long as you have an idea of who you are?

No comments: