Thursday, February 16, 2006

New band of the week

For the past two weeks or so my new favorite band has been Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, once again proving just how not up to date I am on current music as their album came out last year sometime. It's hard to say exactly why I'm so enthralled by them, it could be the referential aspects (tuning in everything from the Talking Heads to Modest Mouse), the toy piano intro on "Details of the War" or perhaps the mostly upbeat vibe off the album. Yeah, it's probably emo but I like emo and I'm not going to deny it. At least they're not talking about how miserable they are since she left. Lyrically (as far as I can tell) the songs are as abstract as anything else out there. Of course, many times I put myself in the camp that lyrics can be rather secondary. It's not that they (lyrics) are unimportant but they are as just as much an element of a song as the guitar or organ. No matter what this band has created a wonderfully beautiful album that is worth checking out. It's not very often that you'll find something like this.

No comments: