Monday, May 30, 2005

Nature day


greenbluff2
Originally uploaded by surly monkey.
Actually it wasn't all nature today. The brother and I went to Bloomington to skate the park before picking up our sister to meet the parents at McCormick's Creek State Park. Today was the best day I've had skating so far, I finally found the good lines and went into the small bowl as well (it had been intimidating me during my past visits). The only complaint was the little kids that were in the way. Andrew ended up throwing one of their boards over the fence because they had set it up right in the way.

We headed down to McCormick's Creek, none of us had been there in a long time. It is a quite beautiful park, very shady and there is a small canyon and waterfall there. Today being Memorial Sunday meant it was crowded and us kids had to take over finding a picnic table because our dad was freaking out (he seems to thrive on stress and not in a good way).

When we went our separate ways, Sarah mentioned she new of a spot close by that we should check out. A nature preserve owned and managed by the Nature Conservancy call Green's Bluff. It is in the middle of nowhere, I could try to tell you where it is but I couldn't tell you how to get there. Anyway it was very cool and there was maybe five other people there. A welcome relief from the other people at McCormick's Creek. The dog seemed to enjoy himself as well. Turns out that there are some very rare species of plant life inside the preserve and we saw two of them. Hemlock and the Hay-Scented Fern, which can sort of be seen in the photo. They are the ferns in the side of the bluff.

Personally I consider Southern Indiana to be the spiritual center of Indiana so it was good to get out in the woods and feel it. I just hope I didn't get poison ivy.

No comments: