Wednesday, June 01, 2005

On the road again

Sometime tomorrow I will be heading back west to Colorado and for those of you who know, there will be no side trips to either Texas or Oklahoma. As to when I actually get home is a wild guess. It took almost 24 hours to get here and I bet the same going back. Although after watching The Lords of Dogtown tonight I may have to stop and skate once or twice.

The movie was good, it was a dramatization of Dogtown and Z Boys which was Stacy Peralta's film about skating in Venice (and Southern California) in the mid 70's. If you haven't seen Dogtown and Z Boys I highly recommend it. Obviously Lords of Dogtown is the Hollywood version and highly compresses the history but it still is entertaining and worth checking out.

There be some new (and old but new to me) tunes rockin' in the Surly Mayfly on the way back. Including yet another Paradox recommendation Quasimodo: The Further Adventures of Lord Quas. So far it's really good the few times I've listened to it. More on that later.

The road awaits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a little Backround for you: Quasimoto is actually the Producer/DJ/MC named Madlib. Quas is an "alter-ego" of Madlib; so, he's running his voice through some affects to get the high pitched vocals of Quasimoto, with the occasional reply raps of Madlib's real voice along with other guest MC's and you've got Madlib producing the beats.

Saw Goapele (pronounced: gwa-pa-le) on Monday night. She is the most amazing performer I have seen in a long time (maybe ever). I highly recommend anyone reading this to get your hands on her "Even Closer" album. She is so (besides being beautiful)soulful, passionate, and just radiates a very infectious energy that can not be denied. Feel free to check out her video for "Closer" at www.goapele.com . Her new album drops on Aug 19, read more on her website. Don't sleep on this, she is the one.

Monkey; see if you can get your hands on any Savath & Savalas. I am currently enjoying "Apropa't", I'll send you a copy. These albums are a colaboration of an American producer (you'll have to figure out who he is, I can't give everthing away here) and a female Spanish musician. Very chill and laid back, lot's of acustic Guitar and some low key electro beats along with some very natural sounds as well, all covered with some gentle lyricism.

The new Common album, "Be" is the best he's done in years. HIghly recommended.

I think you would also like this new group called "The Go Team"! I have not heard them yet, but everything I have read tells me they are up your alley.

BTW, I really love that Tortoise "TNT" album. I bought it on vinyl.

P.S. Gorillaz new one should be good too.

Whew.

Anonymous said...

postsecret has some very interesting cards this week. thanks again for pointing us in the right direction. i always appreciate when you put links up to something worth looking at.