Sunday, June 19, 2005

Father's Day

Well I hope all of you that still have fathers remembered to call him if you weren't already there with him. If my dad read this I'd say happy Father's Day but he doesn't know how to navigate the Internet so never mind. Anyway, I have no kids of my own so after I talked to my dad I went out and got drunk. It's been a long time since I've been drunk during daylight hours and that was interesting and yet at twenty till midnight I am still drinking.

I don't really know what to say about my relationship with my father. I guess you could say it is a cordial one. We get along, and at some points in our respective philosophies we agree. I would say that both of us agree that this nation is rich enough to help care for those who are less fortunate and need some help. Also we acknowledge that the health care system in this country is a mess. Actually he and my mother are going through small health care crisis of their own that many other Americans are going through as well.

The last time I was home was one few times that we had actual conversation. Apparently he has been researching the genealogy of our family (my mother's is already well laid out). I did discover that I have a fifth or fourth generation grandfather off the boat from Ireland. Before this I never even thought I had any Irish in me. But strangely enough that side of the family has been in Indiana for a very long time. I guess that just makes me a straight up American.

No comments: