Saturday, June 11, 2005

Gone missing

Kevin Drum has an interesting post over at Political Animal about the new television news phenomena of the missing white girl (usually blond). Personally I don't even watch television news, I don't really get anything out of it. To me print, radio (NPR) and the Internet provides me with the more indepth coverage that I prefer. This whole damsel in distress has been bothering me for a while though. One never hears about missing minority women or even men of any race. And I know that people other than white women go missing. The other thing is adult (and child for that matter) abduction really doesn't happen that much. Not to say that it never happens but it is much more rare than the broadcasters would have us believe. But broadcast media is in the business of stirring up fear and this is just another case of them doing it again.

No comments: