Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Insomnia is not fun

Some say that one sign of an alcoholic is drinking so they can go to sleep. If that is true than I may be an alcoholic. But the one thing I know is that I had insomnia way before I started drinking. It started in my late teens, back then staying up until midnight was late but now I'm lucky if I go to bed before 2 am. Which is fine as long as you don't have to work before ten or so.

Last night though, kicked my ass. I don't know if it was penance for the night previous but if it was I sure suffered. I needed to be up by 8 am and I fell asleep at maybe 6. Curses, not only that but I was in bed before one. Laying there in the dark for five hours with possible moments of drifting off interrupted by my brain saying "NO!! You will not sleep!" was just ridiculous. The strange thing is that Paradox told me he experienced the same thing last night. Thankfully, the women at work took pity on me when I came in and sent me upstairs for the first hours to do a copying project so I didn't have to deal with the public in the state I was in.

So tonight, since I don't have any form of herbal or pharmaceutical medication I am going to get just buzzed enough so I can sleep. I so hope this doesn't make me an alcoholic.

Update: After a quick Google search, apparently drinking so one can fall asleep is not a common trait of an alcoholic. Whew, I really didn't want to go to AA.

No comments: