Wednesday, June 29, 2005

War Against Science

Really, I try to stay away from politics and especially the clash of religion and politics but it is beginning to get a little much in this little country of mine. First we have the whole Kansas School Board desiring to insert creationism in the state science curriculum. Which they did in 1999, and got reversed until this year. Now there is the Tulsa Zoo adding a creationism display (use bugmenot.com to get around registration). I realize that Tulsa is kind of a buckle of the Bible Belt but it just seems strange to me. Maybe just because I never bought the straight creation story, like all mythology I always thought of it in more metaphorical terms. Between these and other stories floating around, I'm seriously wondering if there is an active campaign against science happening in this country right now.

1 comment:

GCU of paradox said...

Are you kidding? You wonder if there is an active campaign against science in this country? No need to 'wonder', my freind. There is a full blown war against science here in the good ol' US of A. It seems ridiculous to think about as a socially progrssive human being, but the domestic conservative element is out there and very active at stifling any forward movement in science. Very scary and depressing to think about. As Whitney said, "I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way".

On that note, I have a literary recommendation: "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. It's sort of the prequel to DaVinci Code. All about science vs. religion.

"Show them all the beauty the possess inside.....give the a sense of pride...." sorry, couldn't resit but to keep singing.