Thursday, April 21, 2005

Back in the day

Having this wireless card in my computer sort of reminds me of the days after I had dropped college. At the time my student account was still active and I still could get email and do whatever else it was I did online back then. To date myself let's just say this was a couple of years before the advent of the World Wide Web. So to access my account I would have to poach computer labs at other schools in Indy or offices that were connected to the Internet. The school labs were easy as long as they didn't ask for an ID. Offices were a little harder as they usually don't like strangers coming in and using their computers. Of course as soon as they canceled my student account that all ended. Until the Web started. After setting up a free email account (which I think I still have), I'd still have to poach the CU labs or other facilities in Boulder. You had to really be sneaky to get into the CU labs.

There are some parallels today, with trying to find open hotspots and all. It does feel a bit similar although not quite as sneaky. As some of us know, however, one can sneak onto someone's network because it was left inadvertently open. Which really does remind me of those days in a way.

No comments: