Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Returned alive

nomeansno2

carlsick

Originally uploaded by surly monkey.
Well I made it back alive, just barely. Remember the old saying "Party till you puke"? Apparently I took it to heart on the first night. But I place the blame squarely on Carl (see bottom photo) it was he who insisted on that last shot of Maker's. That is what sent me praying to the porcelain god.

The drive down in my new car was great. I only had to but three gallons in it at the Pilot in Laramie, sweet. Now the car has a name: The Surly Mayfly. It's a long story and I'm not going to tell it now. All I can say it that car is many times better than my truck.

The first night Sim and Erin came out with us, I used to live with them when I lived in Ft. Collins. Us non-band members started at the Crown Pub an English pub type joint. I really should have eaten while I was there. Anyway we regrouped at the Aggie, the Plagiarists were up first. As with all opening bands at a place like that the crowd was kind of sparse but those who were there seemed to be really into the band. The other opening acts were pretty good especially The Things They Carry. Then came No Means No. I'd never really listened to them even though I've been aware of them for about fifteen years. Damn I really wish I had been listening to them longer. They were just awesome, like Rush without the bullshit. Each musician was an excellent player and the bass player really stood out, he was playing his bass like a guitar at times.

Sunday was recovery day for me. Well that and letting Leeann drag me around to shop. Ladies I'm a keeper, I didn't complain once. I finally started feeling better once I had a falafel pita and a Coke. We went back, met up with the rest of the band and went to a BBQ at Scoo and Holly's place. Scoo owns the Aggie and has known Doug for years. If you're reading this Scoo, thanks again. After that was the Surfside 7 show with Rusty Shackleford who are this great hardcore style three piece from Ft. Collins. Surfside is a very intimate setting to see a band to say the least, which actually makes up for the lack of audience. But everyone rocked out and had a good time.

Monday we went our separate ways after checking out of the hotel. I went to the skatepark and took photos of Carl which you see here. Then I drove back and discovered that the Surly Mayfly gets 29.66 mpg. Damn am I happy.

No comments: