Tuesday, April 26, 2005

My skills are lacking (no q)

Dang, LeeAnn beat me in Scrabble tonight, although I still say if she wasn't missing tiles I may have beat her. I want a rematch on my board, dammit. I know my set has the Q. Oh well, she schooled me and now my tail is between my legs. So much for IM smack talking.

The one thing she does have is an almost full collection of Sonic Youth, except for Ciccone Youth and maybe Evol. And those may be hard to find, especially Ciccone Youth. Well there's MasterDik but who the hell has that. I've only heard of it. Hell, she has more albums by Sonic Youth than I've ever owned. And I've bought Daydream Nation three times now.

To be honest I really didn't want to descend into writing about Sonic Youth again, because I finally think absorbed Pinback's Offcell EP. For a thirty minute EP it really packs a nice kick, and seems to have a flow throughout each song that ties the whole thing together. Definitely one of those that should be listened to in one sitting. I know I've mentioned before how much I like these guys, they write a helluva song and incorporate many pop elements yet are still serious. I'm guessing that this EP was a little more experimental for them with the sounds that provide the continuity between the tracks. Whatever, it works. If you see it, grab it; it could be the best five songs recorded in 2003 (so what, I'm behind).

Update: LeeAnn actually does own Evol and it's on vinyl no less!

1 comment:

JackassJimmy said...

Tough break dude. This guy likes a good game of scrabble too and more often then not, gets his ass whooped by females from work.

Hope things are going well,
JJ