Tuesday, January 10, 2006

And I'm sick of the cold...sorta

I think my boss is trying to keep me here in Steamboat. I just got another raise which makes this job by far the highest paying legitimate job I've ever had. Hell, I think it pays better than any illegitimate job I've ever had when you factor in the risk. Which sort of sucks, because I'm intent on leaving this town for the city (which one? good question). But I guess it's providing some experience and may allow me to save a little more money for when I do move.

Don't get me wrong. I do love this town, it is the most beautiful place I've ever lived. I must like it if I've spent slightly over a decade here. But the time is coming for me to move on. I need some stimuli that I can't get here. The idea that there are places to hang out in at night that aren't bars excites me. Even if it is Denny's or a bowling alley that the lanes aren't entirely taken up by leagues on most nights.

I don't want to have to drive three and a half hours through nasty weather and traffic to go see shows and buy pants that fit. Or see any movie in a theater that doesn't make my back scream in pain after an hour.

There is very little that is keeping me here other than the scary prospect on moving to a new place. And my debts that I'd like to whittle down before I leave. Yes, the mountain has it's pull but even now it's not a strong enough pull. That's the thing about this place, it will always be here and I can come back to visit even ten years from now and there will be people I know still here.

It's time to start thinking about moving on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you're turning japanese
i really think so.

phrank

p.s. toyko is the place to be.

Anonymous said...

K-
I hear you on the moving and the scary prospect of moving on to a new place. I sometime think that is what has kept me and Steffie in the ATL (besides buying a house way to early on when we got here)
We are getting our minds more in focus with moving, and its looking like it might happen this time....Good luck with your decision and don't let a job keep you there. A job is a job is a job and there are even more jobs in the city, trust me I have had my share here.....Come to Asheville with us!

Anonymous said...

hey, you've already moved once, and much further from friends, family, and security than the move you are pondering right now. in fact, you're probably moving towards friends, family, and security. what do i know? i don't even have a job.