Monday, January 09, 2006

The cure all...

It's cold enough tonight that the condensation is almost freezing to the windows again. Being January, I should expect it and I'm not going to leave the house for any reason so it doesn't really bother me.

Tonight, I got some new snowboard boots. After ten years or so of riding I'm finally getting to product test something. Sweet. Brand new boots that I don't have to pay for, it's a good thing. I'll probably have to go up tomorrow just to try them out. I tried them on tonight and they are rather comfy. Anything has to be better than the ones I've been using lately. The heels just started ripping out on them and I was starting to think about what kind of duct tape configuration would be needed to sustain them.

When Paradox and I lived together, he would have this ritual of duct taping his boot liners every morning before we went riding. If I remember right the liners were so split up that it was the only way to keep them intact.

Snowboarding and duct tape seem to go together quite well. In the past I've duct taped various articles of outerwear, binding baseplates and boots just to get that last amount of wear out of them. And for the most part it has worked. Although that reminds me that I need to tape my pants up again.

Of course snowboarding gear isn't the only thing that I've fixed with duct tape. Hell, I fixed the radiator on the truck with duct tape. It never leaked again after that even after the tape itself fell off.

I'm not sure what it is about duct tape that makes it the perfect material to fix things. Although I don't recommend it's use as a packing tape. It seems the only thing it doesn't work on is cardboard.

Damn, I wish it would work on software.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

but while you sing the praises of duct tape, you must not forget its often overlooked cousin, superglue.

you know i didn't always have a bitchin' toolbox with a really nice gerber multitool. i was raised by the single mom and if duct tape didn't cut it, out came the superglue.

plus, superglue comes in handy for boys with a clumsy disposition...or so i've heard.

phrank