Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My life in film...

Sometimes I have this ongoing movie in my head. It isn't a whole movie per se but a jumble of scenes that don't really tie together. Or at least I don't think they tie together. Usually it's some snippet from my life that I wish I had some kind of recording device at the time to document it. The thing is, my life probably isn't really that anymore exciting than the next person (on that note I'm surprised so many of you come back on a daily basis, so thanks for that). But there are moments when I've seen some strange and crazy things. For instance, in all my years of working in gas stations, I remember only one set of items in a single transaction. It was a half gallon of milk, a roll of film and a box of condoms (oddly enough the guy came in the next day with his wife and kids). To this day I still ponder that combination.

If I were forced to write a movie about my life, I'm not sure how I would go about it. A key moment in film is where the protagonist has some kind of brilliant revelation. Mine have been on the slow quiet side. They few times I've been put to any kind of survival test have been rather pathetic. I really don't think fending off drunks at a conveince store really counts (plus Kevin Smith beat me to most of it years ago). Or having to extricate myself out of a tree I managed to land in, although said tree did stop me from falling on a cliff. I've never been put in those life or death situations that lead to really good stories. Or if I have, I've forgotten (go figure).

Any movie based on my quiet life would be overly dependent on dialogue, as most of the important parts have been conversations. Although, I'd need some good exterior shots for the bitching soundtrack. And a cool scene of the Surly Mayfly wiping around on mountain roads on snow and ice. Because that car rocks for a Honda.

Either that or I could make the greatest, cheesist action movie of all time where the bad guys are aliens and the Illuminati.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heavy on dialogue with a touch of neurosis...i think a twitchy new yorker with a fetish for his asian stepchildren already has a hold on that market.

phrank