Wednesday, March 30, 2005

American Oxymoron

We've come to this in our American idiocy. Now I do realize that those of you reading this would not threaten the sister of Micheal Schiavo but it doesn't reflect well on the rest of us. I've never understood the idea in the extreme "pro life" community of using death threats and assinations to further the agenda. Something about it just seems ironic if it wasn't so tragic. I use the quotes on 'pro life" because I question their valuations of life to begin with but that is a whole different post that I'm not going to do. Others have done a much better job than I could.

I've tried to keep politics off of here because I don't feel I have many well thought out opinions in this realm. I know that with the exception of the Second Admendment I'm fairly liberal and that's okay with me. But I'm beginning to get the feeling that some of these people want to inject their so called moral standards on all parts of our lives from birth (or lack there of) to death. And this makes me quite uncomfortable. No matter what, any decision regarding the termination of life or potential life is a gut wrenching at best and outsiders should really stay out of the process. These are personal and familial descions and should remain as such if at all possible.

The one thing this whole fiasco has done is make me want to have a serious conversation with my parents and siblings when I go home. I want to be clear on what everyone in my family wants. Maybe it's something we all should think about, if nothing else than to save ourselves from becoming a media firestorm.

No comments: