Thursday, March 17, 2005

I need new music

Apparently I am to start writing music reviews. Fine and dandy, but I am so out of the loop when it comes to current music. I rarely listen to music stations on the radio and I have a dialup connect, so trying to listen to Internet radio is pointless. Which puts me in a bind when it comes to what's happening.

Plus I hate jam bands. Which wouldn't be such a big deal if I lived in a city but living in a ski town I am surrounded by jam bands. Most of the bands that come through here I would classify as jam bands. And I don't go see them. But all of the promo stuff in the office is from bands that are coming. This is a bit of a problem.

Beyond jam bands, I'm pretty open minded in my music. I like and own a little bit of everything (well not modern country but that's a whole different story) from punk to jazz to noise to hiphop. And I'll listen to anything once. But if it sounds like phishgratefulwidespread in the first two minutes...Forget it.

But I still need new music. I need to be pointed in the right direction. I can only review Sonic Youth so many times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, A cry for help on Saint Pats.

You know STMBT has changed dramatically over the years as the topic of the day should be "How Fucking Awesome the Bump Off was Today"! However the illustrious American Skiing comapany has squeezed the life out of any local event that they do not profit off of. Sad.

Anyway, I think I may be able to help you with your dilemma. First we must travel back in time to 2004. Three albums of note that I beleive you would enjoy. Althought they are probably too old for you to review as new, maybe you can have some sort of retrospective. The Streets "A Grand Don't Come for Free". MADVILLIAN "Madvillainy". DJ Dangermouse "The Grey Album". If you have not already given these three a listen, you missed some of my favorite albums from last year. Drop me an email if you can't get ahold of them locally, I'll drop a few disks in the mail for you. After that we can start getting current.

P to tha X

Anonymous said...

Bloc Party "Silent Alarm". Dope new "indy" (if there is such a thing anymore) rock. I think you'll like it.