Friday, March 25, 2005

I used to sell mixed tapes, now I'm an MC

So I've been trying to put together a mixed CD for someone but I find myself putting three to four songs of the same band on the playlist. For some reason I have it in my head that a mix should only have one or two songs from the same group. The problem is, I really like these songs and I want the person I'm making it for to hear them. I guess it's not a big deal, but it seems strange to have this set of rules I've imposed on myself.

Not that many years ago my only access to new music was mixed tapes my brother would send to me. Living up here kept me really out of touch with the types of music I was into. As my taste expanded it has become easier and the advent of digital reproducing has made trading music so much better. But there were so many bands that I have been turned onto through mixed tapes. I'm just glad the concept is still here.

2 comments:

JackassJimmy said...

I think your gut instinct is right. I make mixes pretty frequently and it has to be a very special person / reason to break the 1-2 song rule.

As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever done 3-4 but there is a first time for everything I suppose. In the end, it's all about the heart that goes into it.

but you knew that anyway.

cheers,
JJ

Anonymous said...

That's a tough one. Altought it's not written anywhere that one artist appearing more than twice on a mix is taboo; it is something all of us compilers are well aware of. I have to agree with jaj, do what you feel is the correct move.

The Nonce, "I Used to Sell Mix Tapes" off of 1995's World Ultimate was off limits to us East Coasters back then. So glad I finally got turned on to that one after leaving NY. Glad you like it.

P to tha X

P.S. I am dropping some music in the post for you this week.