Thursday, March 24, 2005

The times, they a' changing

Maybe change isn't always the greatest thing. There are things that I see changing that I wish wouldn't happen. For instance, in the years that I've been gone from my home state of Indiana, acres and acres of farmland have been turned into strip malls and pop up houses. Seeing this makes me sad. I fear the day that the fields in front and behind of my parents home turn into pop up homes. Memories of sunsets and sunrises over cornfields will be just that, memories.

It's not that I fear change, as we all know besides death change is the only constant in life. But it can make me uncomfortable at times. I'm forcing myself into a period of change very soon and as excited as I am about it, in the back of my mind there is a feeling of apprehension. It will work out, it always does but there is always that anxiousness of the unknown.

A change of ownership of an establishment can also cause discontent in the employees and the patrons. If the establishment changes radically at the beginning it is almost better than the slow subtle changes. The slow letting go of employees, moving and changing the fixtures and furniture can disturb everyone on a deeper level than if it is all at once. This is happening at one of the places I enjoy frequenting and I can feel the atmosphere slowly changing.

Change can be good, but many more times than we'd like to admit it can be rather painful.

1 comment:

JackassJimmy said...

I can sympathize with you on this. Especially if change comes in the form of the staff at your workplace, restaurant or favorite watering hole.