Tuesday, March 08, 2005

One night last summer


finger rock
Originally uploaded by surly monkey.
This one may be the coolest photo I've ever taken. Those of you who are Routt County residents may recognize this rock formation on 131. Yep, Finger Rock. There is a bit of a story behind this shot. I had spent all day replacing the alternator in my truck (which is for sale, brand new alternator). So I figured I needed to charge the battery, and decided to take a drive to south Routt. What you can't see in this photo is that there was a full moon that night. I get to Finger Rock and decided that this is a good night to take some pictures. I walk up the highway, with my camera and mini-tripod, lay down on the side and wait till I hear a car coming (I wanted the tail lights). I hear a car coming and right before it gets in the frame I push the button. Turns out that this particular car is a State Trooper, who sees me laying on the side of the road. He pulls a u-turn and comes back to check what he saw on the side of the road.
"Are you OK?"
"Yep, just taking some pictures."
"Oh"
"Want to see your tail lights?"
"OK"
"Nice Picture, be careful out here"
"Thanks, sir"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG...I thought I was the only one who would do stupid things to take a picture!!! I'm a newbie here, running around like a tourist (shame on me) taking pics of everything. Isn't there any history on that amazing 'Finger Rock'. I've been searching the net high and low...
PK
ck out my site www.bloggingus.com