Saturday, March 12, 2005

Who sucks more: tourists or locals?

As much as I love it here, there are days when I can't stand some of the people who live here. Admittedly, I only see a certain segment of the local population when I am working but I think it is a pretty fair representation of the residents of Routt county.

We all (those loyal readers that live or have lived here in the Yampa Valley) know that our tourist are prone to asking dumb questions and driving with only half a brain. But the locals are just as guilty, if not more, in the driving department. The way some locals really take the cake, however, is the idiotic drivel that can come out of their mouths. The first thing that comes to mind is the belief that because I am white, I share a mutual hatred of Mexicans; when in fact, I quite like our amigos from the south. In fact I find that the Mexicano customers rather polite and good natured, they may make fun of me for my poor Spanish but I think they appreciate the effort. Another one is the constant demand for a locals discount. I understand that some local merchants offer a discount if one lives here, but I work at a freaking gas station. Prices are the same for everyone. And then there are the creeps that think I am their buddy because I've worked there for so long that it's safe to share their fantasies with me. I really don't care what kind of sexual positions you would like to find yourself in with my coworker. And furthermore, she wouldn't want you, skanky mofo.

The thing about the tourist is that there is just so many of them. But they all ask the same questions and we all have our answers down pat for them.

No comments: