Saturday, March 19, 2005

Last of the good cops

Well it's official, there is only one or two good cops left in the Routt County Sheriff Office. Now I'm not one to hate cops, I think they provide a needed service and (at least around here) do a pretty good job of it. But I think there is something strange going on over at the RCSO. In the last two to three months we've lost at least three members of the force. Two of which were, unofficially, asked to resign. Something about not covering up for the Undersheriff. Of course this all rumor and speculation because I can't even get anyone to speak off the record, let alone on the record. And then Ken Klinger resigns to teach weapons for the Navy.

What's lame about this? All of the men that have left the force were the fair ones. The cops that would respect you if you respected them. These guys were of another era, who had come here because it was the West. And they respected the "code of the West", the idea that you're best left minding your own business as long as it didn't impact anyone else. I fear that whoever the new hires will be may not respect this as much

2 comments:

JackassJimmy said...

I know how you feel man. I can't drive my car, at night, wearing any type of hat, without getting pulled over and given the business.

Cops on the whole are jackasses, but not cool jackasses...

like me

surly monkey said...

That's the thing, until recently they wouldn't pull you over for looking a certain way. Well maybe hippie types, but that's what you get for advertising. But in my experience (and for just this town), if you obey the traffic laws, you don't get bothered. But the new guys are of a different school. Of course this is just the Sheriff's Dept. Paradox got hassled riding his skateboard late at night and that was all something else. And that was the city cops.

These Deputies where cool, seriously. They really didn't care as long as they didn't see it. But I fear those days are gone.