Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The best song, ever.

So I've been sitting here trying to figure out what is be best rock song ever. The truth of the matter is I don't think I will come up with the answer. There is just so many to choose from in my case and I'd have to draw the line somewhere, whether by date, genre, style or who know what else. There are a few that come to mind but none of them to me could ever be "the best song, ever" And that's not even counting genres other than rock. Furthermore, just what is rock? Does that include all forms of guitar based multiple chord, feedback abusing music. Does punk count as rock? Metal? Or does rock refer to a point in modern music that doesn't exist anymore? Does rock include Hip-Hop? They do share common roots. Rock (and Roll) is at least fifty years old by now and I'm sure there were people doing it even further back. Anyway I realized tonight that I never did share my playlist with you, my faithful readers. So here you go:
I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
I'm The Man Who Loves You - Wilco
Andalucia - Crooked Fingers
Wrapped Up In Books - Belle & Sebastian
Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss - Built to Spill
Mated - Lungfish
I Am A Tree - Guided By Voices
The View - Modest Mouse
This Mystic Decade - Hot Snakes
Drunken Butterfly - Sonic Youth
Luno - Bloc Party
Pain - The Pharcyde
If It Wasn't For You - Handsome Boy Modeling School
Madness - Deltron
Greenery - Quasimoto
Shadows Of Tomorrow - Madvillian
Little Fluffy Clouds - The Orb

That is what I picked for the paper. I really needed about fifty to do it justice as didn't even include Fugazi which is definitely one of my all time favorites. Although they just have too many songs to just pick one. Although other than a couple of songs I limited it too within the last five years or so. But I think I managed to hit a lot of stuff other than top 40 which sucks no matter what.

No comments: