Monday, July 18, 2005

Out of touch

It seems that there is so much going on in the world and yet I have so little to say about it. For one there is the whole Karl Rove outing Valerie Plame thing that is being covered quite well at Politcal Animal. As much as I want to see Karl Rove "frog marched" to jail, I can't really do a good job of describing what has been going on.

I haven't really been able to listen to All Things Considered in a while, so I feel a little out of touch. On top of that I haven't read a real newspaper in almost as long. And now the local freebie doesn't count. If it wasn't for the Internet I would have no idea what was going on in the outside world. The sad thing is I think I can feel the current events part of my brain shriveling from lack of input. The one way I have of trying to correct this is by turning the radio to NPR at night and hope that I absorb news by osmosis. All of this just because I refuse to watch television news.

There is this idea I have that the true purpose of television is to provide fiction for our lives. Hence the reason I don't watch television news. Programs loosely based on reality tend to bother me. In this age of unlimited information, why should I rely on three or four behemoths to provide me with said information?

Watching TV, it seems to me, should be for entertainment purposes. And if one learns something while watching televison? Well, that's great. I'm not a channel surfer when left to my own devices, I tend to stick with one show until it's over. Not only that but I have been know just to leave it on one channel for the duration of a TV viewing evening. Of course, anymore it just seems to be background noise and so there is the attempt to replace TV with music. On that note, I'm going to go listen to Built to Spill

No comments: