Friday, July 08, 2005

Getting my geek on

Some point soon I get to play geek here in the house. Of course I am the household tech support but my skills are limited. Today at work I found a US Robotics wireless router in the trash and soon I am going to try and set up our house on it. If this works, now more swapping the Ethernet cable when we want to use a different computer. Thank goodness it's an all Apple house, I couldn't imagine if it were both or even all three platforms. Even though I have no idea what I'm doing, I actually enjoy trying to figure out things like that. Although there may really be a reason that the router was in the trash.

On a completely unrelated note. If you're on high speed you and want to listen to some cool radio, check out Soma FM. They have seven channels that are all good. My two favorite are Indy Poprocks and Secret Agent. Right now as I'm listening to Indy Poprocks, are playing an awesome Weakerthans song.

Today one of my coworkers ask me what my favorite kind of music was and I couldn't come up with a good answer. In hindsight, that may be a good thing as I'm not tied to one genre. It helps that my most formative years were spent listening to (in sequential order) true country, punk and hip-hop. Which also eventually led me down the road to a bit of jazz and some classical (although I have centuries worth to catch up with in the classical realm). To this day there are only a few types of music I just can't stand, unfortunately those types seem to sell the most records. Well jam bands don't sell that much overall and they drive me apeshit. But modern country and top 40 do and most of it is utter tripe. And in the case of Top 40, it hasn't really changed since the mid 90's. Whatever, I'm just one older guy who may be stuck in my ways.

1 comment:

GCU of paradox said...

As far as SOMAFM goes, I'm partial to the Beatblender station.

Another great internet radio station is boombasticradio.com . They are currently having financial issues and need more listeners so that they can get mor esponsors and therefore afford more licensing. They have just about the most eclectic mix of musical genres I have heard anywhere, but are currently operating on alimited playlist due to lack of funding. To listen is FREE, but they also offer subscription that lets you request songs as well as take advantage of other services. If you can, try and tune your media player to this channel (whether you are at you computer or not) so that they can get their listener count up and return to their full ever expanding playlist.

Come to think of it, I'll probably put up a post on my page later today.