Sunday, December 04, 2005

Call up some girls...but I'm afraid of the phone

There are times when I have issues with the telephone. I don't really like it to begin with and in fact I'm sort of afraid of it. Actually it's not the phone I'm afraid of but the act of calling people. Especially when it's the first call to someone. I fret about what kind of impression I'll leave. Will I be witty or interesting enough? Will my slight speech delay be really obvious? Stuff like that.

The thing is, I probably have nothing to worry about. Whatever concerns I have are most likely unfounded. I'm sure it's all tied into the whole hesitancy to initiate conversation thing (I really need to work on that more).

This is slightly related but I'm not going into detail as to why. Even though I've been here on the Internet in one way or another for almost fifteen years, I still feel like a newcomer in some ways. For instance, I've never met anyone in meatspace that I've met on the Internet (although I have met people I've seen on myspace but never talked to). I have no idea what the "rules" are for meatspace meetings, if there even are any. It's a total unknown to me. The communication on the Internet can be intimate and superficial at the same time. Which leaves me wondering how to even greet someone you'd meet in person. I guess it could be comparable to meeting penpals in an earlier time but I didn't have any of those back then. Sometimes, I think I think too much.

I will say this, tonight I feel less cynical and jaded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the thing is you "probably have nothing to worry about." and i would imagine as long as you don't greet "said person" with an unfounded ass sniffing, you "probably have nothing to worry about." but what do i know?
-some girl
amy