Thursday, December 15, 2005

Festivus...for the rest of us!

Tonight it hit me that the holidays are here. Why? Because tonight was the night that I noticed they were here. The winter set of guests, that is. Not having to deal directions, advice the chatter of spoiled and neglected children, I barely noticed the arrival of the season. Even with all the decorations.

In the past few years this time of year was spent working. This is the first time in at least four years that I haven't worked on Christmas Day. I don't even know what I'll do with myself.

Maybe I should celebrate Festivus.

For the last week or so I've made an attempt to push Festivus. A Festivus party could be rather entertaining. Who would be the patriarch of this group up here. The Mayor of Steamboat, perhaps? Trying to pin him during The Feats of Strength could make Festivus last until New Year's Eve. The look when I get when I say "Happy Festivus" is priceless at times. It can vary from knowing amusement or cheerful bewilderment to confused hostility. I suggest trying it out if you work with the public on a daily basis. It only comes once a year (our calendar says Dec 23).

I don't really know how I'd feel about the Airing of the Grievances. There would probably be some things I wouldn't really want to hear. Of course I would get my turn, so there's that.

But I bet it's not to hard to find a Festivus pole.

Happy Festivus!

1 comment:

GCU of paradox said...

That's great. I've wanted to hold Festivus for years. Break out the Festivus pole and let the feats of strength and airing of grievances begin! Sometime in the next couple of years we'll have to get together and pull it off. Really.