Friday, December 23, 2005

Corporate Radio Still Sucks

If some of you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a complete and utter cheeseball. I like bad puns, corny jokes and sappy music. Belle and Sebastian rank in my top ten bands, along with Weezer. I like catchy, cheesy love/like songs, I can't help it. Plus both of those bands just know how to write catchy, poppy hooks and I am a total sucker for a good hook. Could I use the word catchy one more time please.

I think that's part of the reason I don't listen to the radio that much, not enough cheesiness. That and the radio stations up here totally blow giant chunks. The one station KIDN, was just starting to get better and then they changed it to the stupid Jack format. Such is life. I didn't really listen to local radio other than KUNC(the NPR station) anyway. It's better for me to just listen to the stuff I have anyway.

I've found that Internet radio is the only thing that really catches my interest. SomaFM seems to have a few good stations. I've picked up some albums from bands I've heard off it as well as some downloads (legal, mind you).

I find it unfortunate that the airwaves have become so homogenized. It seems there was a time not that long ago that this wasn't the case. Either that or I'm just getting too old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think elvis costello addressed this issue in 1978 in the song 'radio, radio'.