Thursday, December 29, 2005

The ups and downs of Dorkdom

One of the advantages of being a total dork is never having to justify totally dorky behavior. My coworkers expect me to wonder things like who could win a fight between the Hulk and the Thing (Ben Grimm). Or in a battle which would win, a Star Destoryer or the Starship Enterprise? Or why Superman really sucks (he's to damn powerful, what's the fun in that?).

The flipside of this is once people realize you're a dork, they discover they need you. For instance, tonight I went to get some items at the corner store and my sketchy neighbor spotted me. Crap. I hate talking to that guy. He creeps me out and the stuff he says about his wife just makes me wish they would have never reproduced. Anyway, the first thing he ask me is "you know a lot about computers, don't you?" I hate that question. I might know a bit but I am not a hacker by any stretch of the imagination. The one time I cracked a password it was "guest", not a shining hacker moment. My general response (as in this case) is I know a little bit. He proceeds to tell me about a printer he needs hooked up. Double crap. I really don't want to go inside his house. I'll probably be there when the cops show up to bust him on possession of some kind of nasty shit. Those poor, unfortunate kids of his.

In situations like this, I try the dumb and noncommittal card. Usually it works but this guy has been up for days and sees right through it. Dammit. Fuck it, I'll hook up his goddamned printer and take $30 from him. A true geek would charge three times as much. And my friends get this stuff for free.

No comments: