Friday, December 30, 2005

I'd make a bad spy...

Sometimes I surprise myself. For New Year's Eve, I had this awesome plan to surprise Phrank. As recently as Wednesday I was sure I was going to be staying in Steamboat for the weekend. At the time we had agreed to be on the phone at midnight that night. Then after she hinted to a hope of a John Hughes type New Year's Eve, I devised my plan. I was going to go to the Springs, surprise her at midnight and give her a kiss, four hour drive be damned. It was all worked out, thanks to Google and Google Maps I knew exactly where she would be (or so I thought) at midnight. I'd show up when she went outside to call me and ask her why she was calling when I was standing in front of her.

Alas, when I was trying to pin down where she really would be at midnight, I couldn't get a definite answer. So I had to spill the beans. Needless to say she was surprised, perhaps dismayed (in a good way).

I can't really explain why or how I wanted to do this, other than I want to be there with her to ring in the new year instead of on the phone. It just seemed like a good idea to me, something I wanted to do for her and to see her smile (it just makes me melt). Apparently I'm a goddamned sap. I didn't even know until a month ago.

If I haven't completely fallen, I'm at least halfway to the ground.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It just seemed like a good idea to me, something I wanted to do for her and to see her smile (it just makes me melt)."

you just proved my point in the altruism debate. the thought begins with "i wanted to do for HER" and ends with "makes ME melt". there is no such thing as an unselfish motive. this is neither good nor bad. it simply is. (fuck...zen crap at 7am...must consume more coffee)

even if the act is done without the praise of another person, we ourselves are proud of our action and pat ourself on the back.

debating aside, this phrank is a happy phrank and looks forward to be slobbered upon by her geekboy in a mere twelve hours!

drive safe.
phrank

JackassJimmy said...

Should I call you Lloyd Dobler or just a big girl?

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
JJ

surly monkey said...

Llyod Dobler, please.