Thursday, November 17, 2005

Anticipation of snow

I just opened the door to have a smoke and it's snowing again. Sweet. Other than digging out my winter gear, I'm pretty much ready for winter. There's no doubt that I'm ready to strap onto my snowboard and start riding again. The anticipation is getting greater and greater.

This year I'll be missing opening day for the first time in years (other than the year I lived in Ft. Collins). That doesn't bother me at all, being in Indiana for a holiday will be good and I'm really looking forward to seeing my family and reconnecting with some long lost pals.

As I may have mentioned before, winter is the season (at least as long as I live here) that I really become more alive. The loneliness ebbs away due to riding with my friends and others. The chairlift can offer some moments of connectedness that can rarely be found anywhere else. Not to mention that perfectly amazing run that can't even be described in words. The one where you are gliding through the trees with at least a foot of fresh snow underneath you. There is no other feeling like it. In recent years those runs have been infrequent at best but at least I know where to go now when it is one of those days.

I'm so ready. Bring on the snow.

No comments: