Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It's not bling

Once again I didn't win the lottery. I kind of expected that would be the outcome.

In my little fantasy world, the first thing I would do is renew my passport. And then I would give the Surly Mayfly a massive tune up and some bodywork. After that, I have no idea. Maybe I'd just drive the SM around and just take pictures and type it all down.

Ahh...fantasy world. Unfortunately, in the real world (which is meatspace, by the way) I have to work. And you don't get rich by working. The only observation I have about capitalism is that one gets rich by exploitation. Whether it's the cold-hearted exploitation of humans or just working the system, that's how people make money. That and it helps to have money to begin with. Not all forms of exploitation are necessarily evil. We all try to game the system to some degree, I just imagine most of us haven't figured out how to do it on a scale that will make a lot of money. But I'm not convinced that exploiting loopholes and bugs in the system is totally a bad thing. Anyone that's played video games has done the same thing (like that turtle and extra lives in Super Mario Brothers).

I know that if I ever find a way that I can make a lot of money by jumping on a turtle a bunch, I'm going to do it. I'd love to be able to stop working for someone else and do my own thing, whatever that may be. Now all I need is an idea. And no I don't want to be part of your pyramid scheme, thank you very much.

1 comment:

GCU of paradox said...

You have amazingly humble dreams in the event you win the lottery. That'a what makes you one of the good ones.