Sunday, November 13, 2005

Worth every minute

Leeane and Eddie Spagetti

Well now that turned out to be quite an adventure.

First things first, the Surly Mayfly officially kicks ass and it's a fourteen year old car. With no small amount of help from the Blizzak snow tires.

The drive down to Denver had some nerve wracking moments. The pass was snowpacked and icy but I'm driving in those conditions many times. All the way down to Silverthorne was a breeze. And then we got on 70. Going up that ramp put us into the path of the most absurdly insane driving I have ever experienced. The first indication should have been the lit sign that mentioned chains or snowtires were required as it was snowing heavily. Apparently most people either missed or choose to ignore it. Suddenly, traffic slowed to a crawl and the next thing I know there's an Explorer sliding sideways towards me. And when I get around him we notice that there are a lot of vehicles sliding and spinning out around us. Shortly after that we come upon cars stopped on any imaginable spot on the highway. Left lane, center lane, left shoulder, right lane, they stopped in the spots they lost traction. At some point it took on a scene of a blizzard themed "Dawn of the Dead", with people getting out of their cars sliding and staggering around the middle of I-70. Trying to push cars and what not. When we finally made it within sight the (Eisenhower) Tunnel all of the big semis were parked willy-nilly. Six miles after the tunnel the road was completely dry. Go figure.

The thing is, after the most terrifying driving experience of my life, it was totally worth it. Once we got to Denver, checked into the hotel and made it to the show things were awesome. I met up with my friend from college who I hadn't seen in forever. Thanks for the drinks, Evan! The show was a fucking rock (rawk!) show. Every band kicked ass. Having never heard much of or seen Nashville Pussy, I can honestly say they blew me away. And of course the Supersuckers freakin rocked it like no other.

Man, barely making it makes it all that much better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that show freaking rawked. i am still sore from the rock n roll beatdown i received...