Thursday, November 17, 2005

In public (otherwise known as meatspace)

I've been feeling antsy all week. Sitting around the house at night is beginning to drive me a little batty, I think. Probably because I finally got out of town last week. You know, if I weren't so perpetually broke, I'd probably leave town every weekend. I just wish there was some kind of night life here other than the same tired three bars. I hardly go to them anymore, everytime it's the same old faces and overpriced drinks. Soon I guess were supposed to have a space for plays, stand-up and whatever else. That'll be a good change of pace.

Meeting some new people would be nice as well. I've been stuck in my groove for so long I really don't have any idea what's on the world outside of my spheres of friends. And there are some things I desire that my current spheres can't or won't offer me. This is more challenging than it sounds, I'm actually shy around people I don't know. Many times I'm that guy lurking in the corner (and message boards) watching everyone around me. Going up to strangers and striking up conversations doesn't come naturally for me.

The strange thing is, there was a time when it did come quite easily. I'm not really sure what or how that changed but it did. I'd guess it has some to do with my rising levels of cynicism. Or possibly the bouts of depression I've been more prone to in the last ten years or so. I vaguely remember that as a child I was rather shy, so maybe it was a fluke in those few years I wasn't shy. Although once I meet someone and get to talking, it can be hard to shut me up. I'm only shy until I meet you.

Really I just need to get over myself and meet new people.

No comments: